Paisley pirates

Aberdeen Lynx 5 Paisley Pirates 4

Pirates surrendered their unbeaten run in the north as they went down 5-4 to Aberdeen in a sometimes bad tempered game at the Lynx Centre.

The visitors were first on the board as two early strikes by Riddell and Orr gave them a handy two goal cushion, but the home side forced their way back into the game with a marker late in the session to halve Pirates’ advantage by the first buzzer, leaving them with a narrow 2-1 lead as they headed for the dressing room.


Fortunes continued to improve for Lynx and they were level after 26 minutes as Leyden found the net to tie the scores at 2-2. Play was now going from end to end, with a few skirmishes thrown in to make sure the penalty box was rarely empty for long, and Pirates were ahead before the half way point as Turley fired home to restore his side’s lead. However, Aberdeen were finding their feet now and they were level again through Johnstone shortly after, but once again Pirates stormed forward and Orr netted his second, and Pirates’ fourth, before the end of a session which saw the visitors appear to score another goal, the puck rebounding from the staunchion at the back of the net, but the officials failed to see it and the “goal” was not awarded.

The missed “goal” proved to be critical as with Pirates nursing a narrow 4-3 lead going into the final session, they lost two quick goals to the hosts inside the first five minutes of the period, and they were left chasing a game which they might well have won in other circumstances, thus inflicting their first reverse of the season, as while they continued to search for an equaliser it wasn’t to be, the score remaining at 5-4 to the home side at the final whistle.

Pirates will be disappointed to lose their unbeaten record in such fashion, following an impressive win against league champions Kirkcaldy the previous weekend, and with the prospect of a visit from unbeaten league leaders Edinburgh Capitals this Sunday at Braehead Arena (face off 6.00pm).