Doors Open Day Paisley 2014.
The Annual Doors Open Day Paisley (Saturday 6th September) is nearly upon us and it makes for a fantastic day out with the family, when you can access buildings and places you would never normally be able to see inside.
Doors Open Day in Paisley 2014 will be popular with both amateur and pro photographers out there too, with access to the roof of Paisley Abbey (weather permitting) and hopefully this year there is also access to the roof of Thomas Coats Memorial church.
Below is a concise list of places and times of the buildings which will be open in town.[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]Paisley Anchor Mill 06.09.14 (10.00-18.00)
7 Thread Street, Paisley, PA1 1JR
The Anchor Mill stands as a proud reminder of Paisley’s great industrial heritage. Located at the Hammills on the White Cart River, this landmark Grade ‘A’ listed Domestic Finishing Mill was built in 1886 and is one of the few remaining buildings of the Anchor Mill complex. At the centre of the building is the elegant, 4 storied, sun-lit Atrium. This year in the Atrium, The Scottish Diaspora Tapestry Exhibition ‘The Scots Abroad’ will open to the public on Doors Open Days and continue through until the 22nd September. The tapestry depicts the determination, courage and influence of Scots as they journeyed across the world throughout the centuries.
Architect: Woodhouse & Morley
Building Date: 1886
The Scottish Diaspora Tapestry Exhibition ‘The Scots Abroad’ will open to the public on Doors Open Days
Children’s Passport Scheme
Paisley – Bield Activity Centre (Within Woodside Cemetery) 06.09.14 (10.00-16.00)
Former Martyrs Parish Church, 40 Broomlands Street, Paisley, PA1 2NP
Paisley – Bield Activity Centre (Within Woodside Cemetery) – the church was named in honour of two men who were hung at Paisley Cross in 1685 for refusing to renounce the Covenant and acknowledge the King’s supremacy. The building is now the headquarters of the 7th Paisley (JNI) Scout Group.
Building Date: 1835
Paisley – Brediland Allotment Association 06.09.14 (10.00-16.00)
3 Cardell Drive, Foxbar, PA2 9AE
The Brediland Allotments were established in 1916, local knowledge states it was gifted by a generous farmer.
There are over 50 plots and 8 pigeon fanciers and Brediland Allotments hold something for all ages in the community from under 5’s to older adults..
There has been a massive revival of interest in people wanting to grow their own fruit and vegetables in
recent years. As a result, Renfrewshire is starting to see the development of a number of innovative community led projects to allow people to start growing their own fresh produce.
Limited access for disabled.
Children’s Passport Scheme.
Paisley – Grand Fountain ( Grand Re-Opening ) 06.09.14 (12.00-16.00)
Fountain Gardens, Paisley
Paisley – Grand Fountain – Doors Open Days sees the new restoration and interpretation project completed and today marks the special occasion of the fountain being switched back on. Come enjoy our Victorian Garden Party and find out about the restoration of this A-Listed, cast iron fountain made by the Sun Foundry, Glasgow in the 1860s. Adorned with cherubs, dolphins and walruses, it really is one of a kind.
Architect: Sun Foundry, Glasgow
Building Date: 1868
There will be an exhibition on the history of the fountain and gardens,
A Victorian style Garden Party to celebrate the switching on will also take place.
Paisley – Hamishes’ Hoose 06.09.14 (12.30-20.00) – 07.09.14 (12:30-20.00)
45 High Street, Paisley, PA1 2AH
This venue will host live music. Simply show your Doors Open Day Booklet to get a free desert with any main meal purchased from the menu. (One desert per booklet).
Paisley – Holy Trinity & St Barnabas Church 06.09.14 (10.00-16.00)
St James Place, Moss Street, Paisley, PA1 1BG
The only Scottish Episcopal Church remaining in Paisley. The congregation began in 1817 and merged with St Barnabas Church in 2004. It is the oldest Episcopal Church Building in the Diocese of Glasgow & Galloway.
Building Date: 1833
Paisley – John Neilson Institute (formerly John Neilson Institution) 06.09.14 (10.00-14.00)
Oakshaw Street West, Paisley, PA1 2DE
This astonishing addition to Paisley’s skyline is a fabulous distortion of antique classical forms, known to locals as the “Porridge Bowl”. Originally a school bequeathed to the town by a local grocer, it has was converted into flats in 1993 and won a prestigious Saltire Award for its conversion.
Architect: Charles Wilson
Building Date: 1852
Paisley – Lagoon Leisure Centre 06.09.14 – 07.09.14 (10.00-13.00)
11 Christie Street, Paisley, PA1 1NB
Paisley – Lagoon Leisure Centre – A recently refurbished facility providing first class facilities for the people of Renfrewshire in the form of a 6 court sports hall, modern fitness suite and dance studios, a new arena for events, new foyer and cafe together with a free form swimming and teaching pool. This facility also hosts one of the newest Spa’s in the area.
Paisley – Langs Tannery 06.09.14 (9.00-11.00)
1 Seedhill, Paisley, PA1 1JL
The original building dates to around 1830 but the site has been modernised over the years to provide a modern tanning operation to convert raw cattle hides into tanned leather suitable for upholstery and shoe leather manufacturers world wide. The cattle hides are a by-product of the meat industry and Langs Tannery takes this product, adds value and produces a desirable product much in demand. Please note non-slip footwear required to take this tour.
Building Date: 1830
Paisley – New Jerusalem Church 06.09.14 (10:00-15:30)
17 George Street, Paisley, PA1 2LB
this is a good example of an early Scottish Methodist chapel. The church was purchased by the Swedenborgian Church in 1860 for £600 and was formally opened and dedicated on 15th September 1861. In 1868 the interior was remodelled and new pews, a pulpit and stained glass windows were instated. The stained glass cost £103 and was designed by the artist Sir Noel Paton RSA, whose parents belonged to the congregation.
Building Date: 1810 and 1868
Paisley – Oakshaw Trinity Church 06.09.14 (11.00-15.00)
Oakshaw Street East, Paisley, PA1 2DD
The church’s steeple is one of the most pronounced on Paisley’s skyline. The Hill organ has been newly restored. Contains a stunning plaster ceiling together with seven notable stained glass windows: two by Oscar Paterson c. 1918; two by Alec Walker c. 1909 and 1921; and one each by Gordon Webster, 1951; Sadie McLellan, 1973; and John Clark, 1996.
Architect: John White, 1754 & 1767-70; Rennison & Scott, 1877
Building Date: 1750-56, steeple 1770
Paisley – Paisley Abbey & the Place of Paisley 06.09.14 (10.00-16.00)
Abbey Close, Paisley, PA1 1JG
Paisley Abbey, the crowning glory of Renfrewshire’s architectural heritage, is over 850 years old, it was founded as a Cluniac monastery in 1163 by Walter Fitzalan, the High Steward of Scotland, an ancestor of the Royal House of Stewart and a distant relation of our future king, the Duke of Cambridge. Built on the site of a Celtic church established by St. Mirin in the 6th century, Paisley Abbey has been razed and rebuilt several times since then.
Its 25 stained glass windows, designed by 15 different artists, are exquisite Paisley Abbey is also home to some of the most unique gargoyles, from the traditional to the something a little different see if you can spot the alien. The cafe will also be open for business as will the tower and upper floors of the Place of Paisley.
Architect: Restoration by Rowand Anderson, Robert Lorimer
Building Date: 1163 with many additions throughout the centuries.
Paisley – Paisley Ambulance Station 06.09.14 (10.00-14.00)
15 Craw Road, Paisley, PA2 6AD
A purpose built Ambulance Station which became operational in 1996 to replace the temporary Ambulance Station.
A selection of Ambulance vehicles will also be on display, along with some short heartstart sessions.
Display of Ambulance vehicles and short heartstart sessions.
Paisley – Paisley Arts Centre 06.09.14 (09.45-16.45)
New Street, Paisley, PA1 1EZ
Built by the Town Council as Paisley’s first post-reformation church, the Arts Centre was a place of worship for nearly 250 years until it was converted to its present purpose in 1987.
This intimate and friendly venue provides an all year-round programme of drama, music, film, comedy and dance, it frequently hosts Scottish & world premiers.
Architect: James Baird & John Hart
Building Date: 1736-38
The Centre will be running drop-in arts session (11.00-15.00).
Paisley – Paisley Central Library 06.09.14 (09.00-17.00)
High Street, Paisley, PA1 2BA
Reference library by John Honeyman, 1868-71. Lending and Children’s Libraries: Honeyman, Keppie and Mackintosh, 1904, with extension by Keppie and Henderson, 1933.
An A-Listed building which opened in 1871 and was funded by a donation from Peter Coats. In 1904 an extension was built by Honeyman, Keppie and MacKintosh. MacKintosh’s influence can be seen in the use of recessed squares, in bookcase friezes and glazed screens, in the doors with oval glass panels, and in the roof trusses.
Architect: Honeyman, Keppie, Macintosh & Henderson
Building Date: 1868, 1904, 1933
The library holds amazing archives of maps, photographs and drawings and additional exhibitions and competitions will run on the day.
Paisley – Paisley Community Fire Station 06.09.14 (12.00-16.00)
Canal Street, Paisley, PA1 2HQ
The current fire station in Canal Street replaced the old station in Johnston Street in 1972. The station has two fire appliances, it is staffed 24 hours a day 365 days a year. It has five groups of eleven personnel that attend various incidents like fires, car crashes, incidents involving chemicals, animal and water rescue incidents.
Paisley – Paisley Martyr’s Sandyford 06.09.14 (10.00-13.00)
Broomlands Street, Paisley, PA1 2PP
The union of the Martyrs and Sandyford Churches was formalised in November 2009 and a presence is maintained at both Broomlands Street and Montgomery Road, with the Broomlands church being the one open on Doors Open Day.
Architect: Changes by T G Abercrombie, 1904-05
Building Date: 1835
Organ music will be played throughout the day.
Paisley – Paisley Methodists Central Hall 06.09.14 (11.00-16.00)
7 Gauze Street, Paisley, PA1 1EP
Paisley Methodists Central Hall was built in 1908. New to Doors Open Days this beautiful building of note will hold an exhibition of Methodism past and present there will also be guided tours on request and children’s activities including a quiz and a story trail around the Church.
Building Date: 1908
Paisley – Paisley Museum & Art Galleries and Coats Observatory 06.09.14 (11.00-16.00) – 07.09.14 (14.00-17.00)
High Street, Paisley, PA1 2BA
The museum houses a wealth of treasures, from ancient Egyptian artefacts to reminders of our industrial past and natural history. The pillar gallery has recently been refurbished with original Victorian architecture and double barrelled vaulted ceiling fully restored.
Observatory: A solar telescope, Alexander Stoddart’s bust of Newton and painted glass windows depicting famous astronomers can all be found in the observatory.
Open on Sunday 14.00-17.00 for the collection of prizes only.
Architect: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh; T G Abercrombie
Building Date: 1868-81, 1902, 1915. Observatory 1883
Paisley – Paisley Sheriff Court & Justice of the Peace Court 06.09.14 (10.00-16.00)
St James Street, Paisley, PA3 2HW
The present Sheriff and Justice of the Peace courts originally consisted of the court House and the offices of Renfrew County Council. The extended building now housing the Procurator Fiscals office was re-opened in 1997 and 2011.
Architect: Clarke & Bell, 1885-90. Baxter, Clark & Paul, 1997
Building Date: 1885-90
Don’t miss the guided tour of the Courts and cells.
Paisley – Paisley Stowbrae Kirk 06.09.14 (10.00-16.00)
82 Causeyside Street, Paisley, PA1 1YP
One of the newest buildings to this year’s Doors Open Days. Stowbrae Kirk will be holding an exhibition of communion plates relating to the 4 churches in it’s history exhibition
Paisley – Paisley Threadmill Museum 06.09.14 (12.00-16.00)
Mile End Mill, 12 Seedhill Road, Paisley, PA1 1JS
More than 10,000 people used to wind and bind thread for J & P Coats in this imposing A-listed building. Six tall floors high in red brick, 18 bays long, with stair towers topped with landmark copper roofed lanterns. The building now functions as a business centre and an area of the ground floor has been provided rent free for the development of a museum devoted to the thread industry of Paisley, run by volunteers.
Architect: W J Morley of Bradford for J & P Coats
Building Date: 1899
The ground floor’s museum showcases an archive of photographs that offers a glimpse into the life of a mill worker.
Paisley – Ralston Community Sports Centre 06.09.14 – 07.09.14 (9.00-15.30)
Penilee Road, Paisley, PA1 3AX
Built around 1930 this is a world class example of Art Deco architecture in the style of the world famous Thomas Tait. In the last few years it has been refurbished into a community sports centre incorporating a dance studio, state of the art gym and synthetic football pitches. It’s balconies and downstairs reception foyer make it an ideal function space.
Building Date: Around 1930
Paisley – Renfrewshire House 06.09.14 (10.00-14.00)
Renfrewshire Council HQ, Cotton Street , Paisley, PA1 1AN
Renfrewshire House is Renfrewshire Council’s Headquarters building which, in addition to its refurbished open plan offices, features a new Customer Services Centre, Marriage Suite and Council Chamber. Its focal point is the new Chamber which is suspended over the public service desks and is elliptical to embody the principles of equality and inclusive debate in local democracy.
Building Date: 1985
Customer Services and Council Chambers open.
Paisley – Sir James Clark Building – Studio 14 06.09.14 (12.00-16.00)
Abbey Mill Business Centre, Seedhill, Paisley, PA1 1TJ
Built in 1923 this B listed building was part of the former Anchor Mill Complex and is now used for offices and workshops. All are welcome to come along and meet artist Caroline Watson, who will open her studio for the day to present an exhibition of drawings and mixed media artworks. The work reflects an interest in landscape and objects of nature as experienced in a social and cultural context. Also involved in local cultural activities, the artist is part of Weaving Musical Threads and an active member of the Creative Renfrewshire Network
Building Date: 1923
Exhibition of Drawings & Mixed Media Artworks
Paisley – Sma’ Shot Cottage 06.09.14 (10.00-16.00)
2 Sma’ Shot Lane, Paisley, PA1 2HG
Sma’ Shot Cottages comprise an 18th Century weavers cottage and loom shop showing living and working conditions of a weavers family in the 1750s and a small row of mill owners cottages from the 19th Century. The cottages contain many fascinating artefacts and are linked by a 19th Century heritage garden.
Building Date: 1700s-1800s
The Victorian interiors tell the story of Paisley’s 19th century development.
Paisley – St James’s Church of Scotland 06.09.14 (10.00-16.00)
Underwood Road, Paisley, PA3 1TL
This Gothic revival church of considerable architectural merit has a steeple which reaches for the sky. It’s one of a limited number of churches in Scotland with eight or more bells. Certainly, the accomplished treatment of the cruciform plain interior design helped Blanc to win the commission for the Coats Memorial Church. The congregation has very strong musical interests including a quoir, handbell team & orchestra. Children’s activities and refreshments will be provided throughout the day, with a chance to try handbells at 10.30 & 11.30, choir activities 11.00 & 12.00, Organ & Piano demonstrations 14.00 & 15.00 and the Bell Tower is opening especially for Doors Open Days between 13.00 – 15.00.
Architect: Hippolyte Jean Blanc
Building Date: 1880, 1904
Paisley – St Mary’s RC Church 06.09.14 (10.00 -13.00)
163 George Street, Paisley, PA1 2UN
The picturesque coloured glass is newer than the church, and was a replacement for the original glass which was shattered by a bomb blast during World War II. See the boy with the football and the lady with the Vacuum cleaner in this beautiful feature. Architect: Pugin. Building Date: 1891Post war stained glass above the choir and in the apse. Church completely restored, including Watt organ.
Paisley – St Matthew’s Church of the Nazarene 06.09.14 (10.00-16.00)
Gordon Street, Paisley, PA1 1XL
St Matthew’s was built in 1905-1907 in a mix of Gothic and Art Nouveau styles by Paisley architect W D McLennan, who was a member of the congregation. The church is regarded by many as Scotland’s most significant Art Nouveau Church. McLennan originally intended the design to include a massive spire but it was decided late in 1907 to abandon this costly embellishment.
Architect: William D McLennan
Building Date: 1905-1907
Paisley – St Mirin’s RC Cathedral 06.09.14 (15.15-17.15)
Incle St, Paisley, PA1 1HR
Built in 1932 to replace the 1808 church in East Buchanan Street, St Mirins’ dedicated to the Patron Saint of Paisley, became a cathedral for the newly formed Diocese of Paisley in 1948. It continues to serve as a parish church with recent renovations taking place in 2012.
Architect: Thomas Baird
Building Date: 1930-32
Paisley – St Mirren Football Club 07.09.14 (12.00-15.00)
75 Greenhill Road, Paisley, PA3 1RU
First established in 1877 and although they moved to a purpose built stadium 4 years ago, the history of the club is proudly displayed within the club for all to see. For Doors Open Day you will also have the opportunity to go behind the scenes, why not walk out the tunnel, see the dressing rooms, board rooms, referee room and even the TV interview room with a special competition for children with a chance to win tickets for the Inverness Caledonian Thistle Scottish Premiership home game on Saturday 18th October 2014.
Building Date: 2008
Paisley – Tannahill’s Cottage 06.09.14 (11.00-15.00)
11 Queen Street, Paisley, PA1 2TT
The cottage was built by the father of Robert Tannahill, the “Weaver Poet” and compatriot of Robert Burns, who lived there for most of his life (1774-1810). Now home to the Paisley Burns Club, one of the oldest in the world, it reopened after a fire in 2003
Architect: James Tannahill
Building Date: 1775
View a display of Burns and Tannahill memorabilia.
Paisley – The Bull Inn 06.09.14 – 07.09.14 (12.30-17.30)
7 New Street, Paisley, PA1 1XU
Rare Art Nouveau pub with dark joinery, stained glass, cosy snugs around beautiful top lit rear lobby. A ten flat tenement towers above like an Arthur Rackham fantasy.
Those presenting their Doors Open Day brochure on the Saturday will get 15% off of their food bill. No food served on a Sunday.
Architect: William D. McLennan
Building Date: 1900-01
Paisley – The Wynd Centre 06.09.14 (11.00-15.00)
6 School Wynd, Paisley, PA1 2DB
The Wynd Centre opened its doors on 30 Sept. 1984 and is the outreach arm of Oakshaw Trinity Church. When the former St John’s Church became available the centre expanded and the Architect Archie Richmond of Richmond Architects, Dumbarton, Glasgow designed the building as it stands now and it was opened by HRH Princess Anne in 2001. It has a 200 Seater Auditorium, Counselling rooms, varying sizes of rooms and halls. Come along and see for yourself. The Wynd Centre 30th Anniversary service on Sunday 7 September, Oakshaw Trinity Church 2.00pm. All welcome.
Architect: Archie Richmond
Building Date: 1984 & 2001
Paisley – Thomas Coats Memorial Church & Paisley Photographic Society 06.09.14 (12.00-16.00)
High Street, Paisley, PA1 2BA
Built by the Coats family in memory of Thomas Coats, the building is the epitome of Victorian neo-gothic splendour. One of, if not the most opulent Baptist centres in Britain, the church’s eight arched crown spire is a principal feature of Paisley’s skyline. The interior abounds with highly carved oak, marble and alabaster. You will be able to take in the artful surrounds to the sound of organ music. The Paisley Photographic Society will also be exhibiting their members’ photography.
Architect: Hippolyte Jean Blanc
Building Date: 1894
Paisley – Wallneuk North Church 06.09.14 (10.30-12.30)
Abercorn Street, Paisley, PA3 4AB
Hailed as the triumph of stylish Paisley architect, this Perpendicular Gothic creation is one of the most powerful compositions to be found in the town. The Church is built of red stone from Locharbriggs quarry, Dumfriesshire, the inside is mainly Austrian oak. Various animals and symbols are carved in the wood and stone.
Architect: Thomas Graham Abercrombie
Building Date: 1913-15[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]