Families urged to make sure they don’t miss out on £250
Eligible families with children born between 1 March 2016 – 28 February 2017, are being encouraged to apply for the Best Start Grant School Age Payment before applications close on 28 February 2022.
The School Age Payment is a payment of £252.50 per child and supports people on tax credits and certain benefits with children around the time they are old enough to start school.
The money can be used at this key stage in a child’s life to help pay for clothes, equipment, bags, books or anything else that is helpful for people caring for children in that age range.
Parents who have deferred their child’s entry to school from August 2021 to August 2022, or those home educating, must still apply before the 28 February closing date.
Social Security Minister Ben Macpherson said:
“If your child is 5 years old or turning 5 this month, and you are on certain benefits including Universal Credit or tax credits, then you could be eligible for the Best Start Grant School Age Payment.
“The Scottish Government wants everyone to get the financial support they are entitled to, and so I would encourage everyone eligible to apply before the deadline, or if you’re not sure if you’re eligible please contact Social Security Scotland to find out more.
“This is the third year of our School Age Payments and I have heard from parents about how they have used the money to, for example, get necessary supplies for starting school or sign up a child for a sports club or class.
“This money is part of the package of five family benefits we offer to help parents and carers balance their budgets.”
Ann Baldock from One Parent Families Scotland added:
“At One Parent Families Scotland we recognise the importance of families having extra money in their pockets at a time when they might need it most. We would like to encourage families who might be eligible for School Age Payment to contact Social Security Scotland before the deadline next Monday to find out more and ensure they don’t miss out.”
· School Age Payment is not directly linked to taking up a school place but age of the child.
· Eligible qualifying birth dates are children born between 1 March 2016 – 28 February 2017.
· If the child’s school start has been deferred until next year, or if the child is not going to start school at all, parents or carers should still apply for the payment by 28 February 2022.
· If parents do not apply by the deadline, they will not be able to receive the payment.
· The qualifying benefits include: Universal Credit, Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit.
· Best Start Grant is a package made up of 3 one-off payments: Pregnancy and Baby Payment, Early Learning Payment and School Age Payment.
· Further information can be found at mygov.scot/best-start-grant-best-start-foods or by calling 0800 182 2222.