Pirates recorded another critical win, collecting the two points they wanted in the process, beating their Scottish Cup semi final opponents 11-4 in a match which the visitors had under control against hosts containing a number of former Pirates within their ranks.

paisley pirates

The visitors were flying from the start and were ahead in under a minute when Guy, playing in an unfamiliar right wing role, smashed in a shot which Blackwell was unable to stop for the opening goal. In spite of having the bulk of the play, however, they were unable to add their total until ten minutes later when Campbell was first to a rebound to prod the puck beyond the Storm to double the advantage. Pirates continued to push forward and scored a third powerplay marker with four minutes remaining, Jordan getting a clear view of the goal with the numerical advantage to fire home an unsaveable effort to make it 3-0 at the first interval.

Kilmarnock were on the powerplay within minutes of the restart but they were unable to take advantage and were caught on the break as Wilson went clear to pick his spot for number four while shorthanded. Within two minutes Pirates were out of sight as Miller netted for his first of a straight hat trick, netting his second and his team’s 6th two minutes later, before Kilmarnock gave themselves a glimmer as first Cowan on the powerplay, then Murdoch, pulled two goals back for the hosts. The Pirates hit man duly completed his treble from the restart to send his side into the second break comfortably 7-2 ahead.

With the destination of the league points no longer in doubt, the visitors came out for the final session and increased their advantage within three minutes as Johnston fired home. However, they appeared to take their foot off the gas a little as the home side enjoyed a period of pressure, with two former Pirates in the shape of Cowan netting his second, then Graeme Lester scoring with a trademark slapshot on the powerplay with nine minutes remaining, to give the score an air of respectability at 8-4. However, this double counter from the hosts had the effect of shaking Pirates out of their lethargy, as Johnston scored another shorthanded goal within seconds, then Campbell netted within a minute to bring up double figures. Crute made it eleven with three minutes left, but almost immediately was ejected on a match penalty. Pirates comfortably played out the remaining time without incident to record a welcome 11-4 victory, and now go to Dundee next Saturday for their most important game of the season so far, their final match in the current league campaign.

Scorers: Miller (3+1), Campbell (2+1), Johnston (2+0), Wilson (1+3), Guy, Jordan & Crute     (all 1+0), Thorp, Bain, McGlaughlan &Turley (all 0+1)