Pirates duly completed a straightforward victory against the Typhoons in a match where the ultimate result was never in serious doubt, but it took their now regular third period surge to put a convincing result on the scoreboard.

paisley pirates

The home side opened with pace and were ahead in under 90 seconds as Haydn Bain finished off a passing movement with Hassan and Thorp to score the go ahead goal. However, in spite of having most of the play for the remainder of the session Pirates were unable to add to the scoreline during a session which failed to get the pulses racing. While they pushed towards the Moray goal, they rarely threatened to add to their total, while the visitors, on their rare ventures forward, were similarly ineffectual, leaving a one goal margin separating the teams after 20 minutes.

Coach Ian Turley’s interval team talk appeared to shake the home side out of their lethargy, as with under 6 minutes of the second period gone they were two in front as Fraser Campbell weaved a path across the visitors’ defensive zone before backhanding beyond Ramsay to double his side’s lead. Before the halfway point it was three as Crute fired a rocket beyond the Moray goalie, and with less than two minutes remaining on the clock in the middle session it was David Orr’s turn to finish off a move with Guy and Miller to send the home team in at the second break with a four goal advantage, and with Calum Hepburn having replaced a mostly redundant Graeme Meechan between the pipes halfway through the session.

Pirates again stepped up a gear in the third session and were 5-0 ahead in under two minutes, as Campbell notched his second in a goalmouth scramble, and with Crute netting his second unassisted effort within half a minute the game was done and dusted. However, while Pirates were now in complete control they added three goals in the space of under 90 seconds as Miller with a double, then Thorp, both scored before the halfway point in the session took the score to 9-0.. With just over six minutes remaining, Bain took the score into double figures as he slipped the puck beyond the advancing McPherson in the Moray goal.

However, with the game well and truly over as a contest, all hell broke loose with barely half a minute left as a high challenge on Crawford brought an instant reaction from the number 66, and with players from both sides participating in several exchanges on the ice, the penalty count rose rapidly when the match result was already well decided, and which saw the respective penalty boxes full to overflowing.

Pirates will be happy to record another big win which takes their goals total in three home games to 28-3. They now face a long wait for their next home game before entertaining Dundee Tigers at Braehead Arena on Sunday 11 December.

Scorers:          Bain (2+2), Miller (2+1), Campbell & Crute (both 2+0), Orr (1+3), Thorp (1+1), Spiers (0+2). Guy, Hamilton & Hassan (all 0+1)

Penalties:        Crawford 47, Blair 39, McLaughlin 27, Turley 16, Crute 14, Johnston 10, Hepburn 2

Man of the Match: Fraser Campbell