Eligible families are being encouraged to apply for the School-Age Payment before applications close on 28 February.


The one-off £250 Payment is currently open to families with a child born between 1 March 2015 and 29 February 2016. It can be used for anything from a warm coat to books and toys.

Parents who have deferred their child’s entry to school from August 2020 to August 2021, or those home schooling, must still apply before the 28 February closing date or they will lose out on their payment.

The payment is part of the Best Start Grant, a package of three payments for families who get tax credits or certain benefits – including Universal Credit, Income Support and Housing Benefit.

Social Security Secretary, Shirley-Anne Somerville said:

“As we approach the application deadline, I want to encourage eligible families who have not yet applied, to get their applications in before the end of the month to ensure they get the payment.

“The money can be used for things like clothes and home schooling materials or anything else you need for your child.

“I’d also like to say to parents who weren’t eligible when the payment opened in June but whose circumstances have changed and are now getting tax credits or benefits – it’s not too late to get your application in and get the School Age Payment too.

“Eligible people can also apply for the new Scottish Child Payment at the same time – this is an extra £40 every 4 weeks for children under 6.

“Access to financial support is a right, and we are committed to ensuring families in Scotland receive all the money they are entitled to.”



  • Applications for this year will close on 28 February 2021
  • Eligible families can apply for a payment if their child was born between 1 March 2015 and 29 February 2016
  • There is no requirement to take up a place at school to be eligible for the payment
  • Parents who have deferred school entry so their children will start school in August 2021 should still apply in the 1 June 2020 to 28 February 2021 window
  • To be eligible you have to live in Scotland and be receiving tax credits or certain benefits.
  • Parents can find out more and apply at mygov.scot/benefits