Stacey set to switch on Paisley
Singing sensation and TV star Stacey Solomon is set to light up Paisley as the headline act at this year’s Christmas Lights Switch On event.
Stacey, who shot to fame on the X-Factor and finished third overall, will perform to thousands at the event in Paisley town centre on Saturday 5 November.
After her X-Factor show and tour success Stacey became even more of a household name when she took part in hit reality TV show I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here in November 2010 and was crowned ‘Queen of the Jungle’.
Following her performance to the Paisley crowd, Stacey will be joined by Renfrewshire’s Provost Celia Lawson to officially launch the town’s countdown to Christmas.
Stacey will headline a host of entertainment throughout the day which will also include fellow former X-Factor contestant Gamu Nhengu.
The event will also see the return of two hugely popular acts from last year, blazing bagrock experts The Red Hot Chilli Pipers and children’s favourites The Singing Kettle.
The fantastic family fun day will be topped off with a spectacular Disney-themed fireworks display.
Renfrewshire’s Provost Celia Lawson said: “Stacey is extremely popular and a fantastic singer so I’m delighted that’s she’s coming to switch on the Christmas lights in Paisley this year.
“It’s always a great event and this year is set to be our best yet with this fantastic range of performances and entertainment, all topped off with a stunning fireworks display. The people of Renfrewshire always turn out in their thousands to enjoy this event and I’m looking forward to seeing them all there again this year.”
The fun packed family day will also include a traditional Reindeer Parade, a Clyde 1 Roadshow, SNO!Zone, a funfair, craft fair and Accord and St Vincent’s Hospices Fun Day.
Renfrewshire Council Leader Brian Lawson, who is also chair of the Paisley Vision Board, said: “This year we are trying something different by combining the Paisley Christmas Lights Switch On and Fireworks Display into one spectacular event. This means we are able to host a bigger and better event that will bring people to the town for the whole day and really kick off the festive season in style.”
Free overflow parking is being provided at Reid Kerr College, Paisley Grammar School and Castlehead High School.
For regular updates on local news and events follow @RenCouncilNews on Twitter or our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/
- 12noon – Reindeer Parade
- 1.30pm – The Singing Kettle
- 2.00pm – Clyde One Roadshow, with Suzie McGuire, Gina McKie and Romeo
- 3.30pm – The Red Hot Chilli Pipers
- 4.00pm – Clyde One Roadshow
- 4.45pm – Gamu
- 5.10pm – Clyde One countdown to light switch-on
- 5.30pm – Christmas switch on
- 5.35pm – Stacey Solomon
- 6.00pm – Walt Disney themed Grand Fireworks Finale
Piazza Parade Route
Saturday 5th November 2011
- Assemble Central Road at M & Co back doors
- Straight On Gilmour St to St Mirren Brae
- Left Turn Orchard Street
- Left Turn Bridge St (Strathclyde Police will stop traffic for parade)
- Left Turn Abbey Close
- Exit and Left Gauze Street
- Right Turn To Gilmour St and disperse
Road Closures and alternative bus stops for Saturday
Whilst the Christmas lights and Fireworks display is on this Saturday the 5th November there will be some disruption to normal bus stops and road closures, here is a list of the Roads which will be closed.
Road Closures for Paisley Christmas Lights Switch On
- Coming into effect from 2pm Friday 4 November, to 12pm Sunday 6 November.
- Abbey Close,
- Bridge Street, from Lonend to Cotton St
- Causeyside St, from New St/Orchard St to Dunn Square (except for access to Forbes Place)
- Cotton St, from Bridge St to Gauze St
- County Place, from Moss St to Gilmour St
- Gauze St, westbound carriageway from Incle St to High St
- Gauze St, eastbound carriageway from High St to Silk Street
- Lawn St, at its junction with Gauze St
- Mill St southbound slip road, from Gauze St to Mill St main carriageway
- Seedhill, from Mill St to Anchor Mills entrance gate
- Seedhill Rd, from Tannery Gate to Mill St
- Smithhills St, from Gauze St to Central Road
- St Mirren St, from The Cross to Causeyside St
- Unnamed access road to South car park of Lagoon Leisure Centre, located 80 metres of thereby south of Furth Way, also known as Bank St.
BUS STOPS: Friday 4 November from 7 pm to Sunday 6 November 12 noon
|Barrhead||Causeyside Street @ Canal Station|
|Dykebar Hospital/Neilston||Causeyside Street @ Canal Station|
|Erskine; Braehead; Glasgow via Renfrew||Causeyside St at Stow Brae|
|Ferguslie Park||Witherspoon St @ Paisley Centre Car Park|
|Foxbar 60||Causeyside Street @ Browns Lane|
|Foxbar 61||Causeyside Street @ Browns Lane|
|Foxbar / Nethercraigs 22/26||Renfrew Rd @ Wallneuk|
|Gallowhill||Renfrew Road@ car showroom|
|Glasgow via Ibrox||Glasgow Road (Cathedral End)|
|Glasgow Airport||Witherspoon St @ Paisley Centre Car Park|
|Gockston||Witherspoon St @ Paisley Centre Car Park|
|Govan||Glasgow Road (Cathedral End)|
|Hawkhead||Causeyside St at Stow Brae|
|Linwood, Spateston, Kilbarchan||Glasgow Rd (Cathedral End)|
|Nethercraigs/Glenburn (Fairway)||Causeyside St @ Brown’s Lane|
content supplied by Renfrewshire Council