Brediland House – Paisley
I have been sent an amazing letter filled with notes facts about Brediland House from Denis Hoare of which I will add to a dedicated page within the history section here is the Notes of the History of the House and its owners, the history section has all the information and also the Submission to The Dean of Guild Court for its construction. http://www.paisley.org.uk/history/brediland-house.php
(Image from Ken Inspire from previous blog post here http://www.paisley.org.uk/blog/2010/02/residents-of-brediland-house-paisley-1949-1952/ )
Notes on the History of Brediland House and its owners, Lounsdale, Paisley
• The land was in the hands of the Maxwells of Brediland for many centuries. They were a branch of the Pollock Maxwells.
• Brediland was the name of a fairly large estate in what is now the Foxbar District in Paisley
• Brediland House, better described as a mansion, was constructed of red sandstone and the architecture appears to be late Victorian
• In 1853 the Estate of Archibald Leckie Esq sold Lonend Dyeworks by Roup in the Saracens Head Hotel, Paisley. Unable to determine to date, if the McGregor’s were the new owners of the Works
The Saracens Head was a Hotel which stood at the Paisley Cross on the site where the War Memorial now stands.
• In 1866 or 1876?, the Brediland Estate was sold, according to the Sasine Records, to Mr. Patrick Comyn Mcgregor (36), Chief of the Paisley Highlanders Association.
Note the Estate included a house which was probably the six hundred year old farmhouse just below the Candren Burn, existing on the site and not Brediland House, which was yet to be built.
• Patrick and his brother Mr.John Ross McGregor lived at Lonend Cottage at Blackhall and were connected with the firm of Leckie, Dyers in Paisley, Leckie’s works were also located in Blackhall.
John Ross was married to Maria Julia Marshall.
Patrick Comyn and his brother were partners in the Leckie Dyeworks
• In 1869/70 P. Comyn McGregor (39/40) Paisley Trades Directory is listed as, of Brediland, (that is the Estate) and living at Lonend House, Blackhall, Paisley which was also the location of the Dyeworks,
which was his business.
He owned the Brediland Estate, Brediland House had not been built at that time.
• In 1881 Census
Patrick Comyn Mcgregor (51) he was unmarried living with his sisters Mary (48), Christina (45), Jessie (41), they were all spinsters, living at No.2, Lonend Road, Blackhall, Paisley.
John Ross McGregor (41) with his wife Maria Julie (36), Eliza (12), Margaret (9), Eva Mary (7), Gregor (5), Agnes (3), John (1) were living at, No.1, Lonend Road, Blackhall, Paisley
• In 1885 Patrick Comyn McGregor (61) died on 29th July at Lonend House, Blackhall. The death certificate stated he was single.
• In 1891 Census
Christina McGregor (57) was living in Lonend House, Blackhall with her sister Jessie (53) and neice Elisa (17), Christina was unmarried and was the sister of Patrick and John McGregor
John Ross McGregor (61) was living in Lonend Cottage, Blackhall with his wife Maria (49) and six children, Katherine (25), Margaret (19), Gregor (5), Agnes (13), Patrick (9), Jane (6).
• In 1899 John Ross retired from at the Leckie Dyeing works business of Lechie & Mcgregor
After the death of his brother he was the sole partner in the firm.
• In 1901 John Ross McGregor (61) was living at No.1, Lonend Cottage, Blackhall, with his wife Maria (59), and five children Katherine (35), Agnes (23), John (21), Patrick (19), Jane (16)
• In 1902 on the 16th May John Ross Mcgregor made a submission to the Dean of Guild Court for the construction of a Villa on the Lounsdale Road, Brediland Estate. See attached extract of the record.
From Sasines records No.12448 for Renfrewshire, he and his family were residing in Lonend Cottage, Blackhall.
• In 1903/4 John Ross McGregor and family were residing in Lonend Cottage, Blackhall, from the Post Office Directory
• In 1904 on 20th February the final inspection was made on the construction of Brediland House and approved
• In 1904/5 John Ross McGregor is metioned in the Paisley Trades Directory, as of Brediland House.
This was also listed as his address in the Paisley Post Office Directory
• In 1905 on 2nd June, John Ross McGregor gives his address as Brediland in the Sasines No. 3320 & 18459 for Renfrewshire
• In 1907 on 17th December,John Ross McGregor gives his address as Brediland in Sasine No.1230 for Renfrewshire In 1907 on 18th November, John Ross McGregor gives his address as Brediland in Sasine No.1230 for Renfrewshire
• In 1911/12 John Ross McGregor and family gives his address as Brediland House, Lounsdale in the Paisley Directory and General Advertiser
• In 1913 John Ross McGregor (75) died on the 8th August. From the death certificate he died in Brediland House, ,
In 1913 the Paisley Post Office Directory his address is listed as Brediland House.
• In 1914-1916 Paisley Trades Directory there is a mention of Maria Julie Mcgregor of Brediland she was the widow of John Ross McGregor.
In 1915 Paisley Post Office Directory her address is listed as Brediland House.
In 1916 Paisley Post Office Directory her address is listed as Brediland House.
• In 1918 Maria Julie McGregor (76) died on the 18th May in Brediland near Paisley, it is not clear if she died in Brediland House or nearby in Meikleriggs, she was the widow of John Ross McGregor
• In 1920 on the 3rd June, Brediland House passed to a Mr. William Young Fleming an engineer for £4,600.
He was a partner in Fleming & Ferguson Ltd, ship builders on the River White Cart Water, the Yard called the Phoenix was off the Inchinnan Road, on the right hand side going towards Renfrew
• In 1921 on January 18th Mr. William Young Fleming sold Brediland House for £6,300 to Mr Thomas Noble, butter, egg and provision merchant.
At the same time Mr. Noble bought part of the Brediland Estate from the Estate of P.C. McGregor of Brighton who was deceased. This is confirmed by the Sasine Records.
It appears the family emigrated Brighton.
Extract from Sasine No.1230 for Renfrewshire: -
To Thomas Noble, Egg Importer
25 Poles,18.5 sq.yds, bounded on the North West by the Public Road from Paisley to Lounsdale on the North East other objects belonging to said Grantee and on the South East by the Candred Burn
• In 1924 Paisley Trades Directory a Miss. McGregor is residing at Meikleriggs which is near Brediland House; she is possibly the sister of Patrick and John McGregor.
• In 1924 Paisley Trades Directory is the first listing which specifically mentions Brediland House, when referring to Thomas Noble of H. Noble & Son at Brediland House.
• In 1926 Brediland House and land was transferred to the Noble Family Trustees
• In March 1948 Mr. Noble died at Brediland.
• At the end of 1948 Babcock & Wilcox of Renfrew was using the Brediland House as a hostel for their overseas and non local students and apprentices. Babcocks subcontracted the running and management of the House to the YMCA who in turn appointed their employees Mr and Mrs Goudie to the managing post.
• In 1983
Brediland House was no longer in use and standing empty.
In July there was a local campaign against demolition of the House. The campaign failed and it was finally demolished by Leech Homes in July of that year and fifty plus houses built on the site.
It was not listed, or part of a conservation area and therefore did not have the protection that either status would have given it.
The demolition of the House was an act of vandalism
Banchory, June 2011.