woodside cemetery and crematorium

The Paisley Cemetery Company Limited started business in 1845, to provide additional burial space at Woodside in response to the needs of a rapidly growing local population. Woodside Cemetery was laid out in 1845 to a design drawn up by Stewart Murray, curator of Glasgow Botanic Gardens. Situated on a low hill-top position between Woodside House and Ferguslie House, the “garden cemetery” extended to just over 20 acres and incorporated the recently built Martyr’s Church and the adjacent Covenanter Martyrs Memorial.  Murray’s design was inspired by the earlier garden cemetery, The Glasgow Necropolis, which also took its inspiration from Pere Lachaise, the first hill-top garden cemetery, in Paris, laid out in 1804 by Alexandre-Theodore Brongiart.

woodside cemetery and crematorium

The Company went on to become a member of the Federation of British Cremation Authorities in 1938, with the provision of a new, purpose built crematorium, designed by the well-known local architect James Steel Maitland.  One of the finest buildings of its kind anywhere in the country; it was opened on 28th October 1938 by the Rt, Hon. Lord Salveson, and is today a well preserved listed building. Text courtesy of Paisley Cemetery.

Video via Drone Courtesy of Paisley Buddie Drone Flights: