The West End Cross
This is a corner dear to the born Paslonian. The present buildings were erected some years ago on the site of the old “Coffin En’,” and are at once ornamental and, by virtue of the clock, extremely useful.
It is on the highway to Johnstone on the west, and Glasgow on the east, and stands at the head of Castle Street-the birthplace of the poet Tannahill. Castle Street leads to Castlehead-the villadom of Paisley,- and to Canal Street U.P.
(Castlehead) Church, in the burying-ground of which lie the remains of Tannahill.
Taken from the 1896 Guide of Paisley by J & R Parlane. Images courtesy of Paisley Oor Wee Toon.