Terrace Tavern, Paisley
The following information is kindly allowed for use by Paisley Oor Wee ToonPaisley Oor Wee Toon
FOWLER’S advertising lists of 1848 tells of a competition for business between two rival Paisley publicans vying for trade.
TERRACE TAVERN, 5 CHRISTIE TERRACE, PAISLEY.
(Late of the Royal Oak Tavern, Moss Street,)
RESPECTFULLY informs his Friends and the Public in general, that he has opened that well known centrical Tavern, end of Old Bridge, lately occupied by the late Mr, George Taylor.
In returning thanks for past favours,, he hopes, by unremitting attention, to secure a continuance of that patronage he has hitherto received from a discerning Public.
The Terrace Tavern is well aired, being built on the side of the river, and is only three minutes’ walk from the Railway Station,
Paisley, June, 1848.
THE ROYAL OAK TAVERN AND EATING HOUSE,
45, Moss Street, Paisley.
Having commenced business in the above old established and well known Tavern, (lately occupied by Mr. Jamieson,) most
respectfully solicits a share of the public patronage, and trusts by attention, cleanliness, and the accommodation he is able and ready to afford, that he will give satisfaction to all who may favour him with their countenance.
The Royal Oak is only two minutes’ walk from the Railway Station.
Breakfasts, Luncheons, Dinners, etc. on the shortest notice.
Alexander Henderson has always on hand an extensive and select Stock of Wines, Spirits, Ales, etc. of the finest quality.
N.B. — Pandore Oysters in their season.
Paisley, June, 1848
Looking towards County Place from School Wynd. The Royal Oak Restaurant, described in records of 1856 as being “A Second Class Tavern, two Storeys high, thatched and in good repair, Affords good Accommodation and is chiefly frequented by Farmers and Others of that Class – Mr A Henderson Proprietor & Occupant” is on the right.
It may be listed as a second class tavern but it serves “ Pandore “oysters which is a large oyster from Prestonpans. Supposed to be big because of the proximity to the doors of the saltpans. Prestonpans oyster fishers would sing “dreg sangs” to charm the oysters into their nets. “Oysters are a gentle kin, wullna tak unless ye sing”
The Royal Oak was I see two minutes from the railway station as opposed to the three minutes of the Terrace Tavern !
This part of Moss Street had seen major changes as what had been a flesh-market, for only a few years, on the east side of Moss Street adjacent to Paisley Cross, was advertised for sale by the Town Council and a new imposing building opened in 1837 comprising a range of shops on the ground floor and on the upper floor a new hall known as the Exchange Rooms, originally numbered 47/48 Moss Street.
The Exchange Rooms became the place for town meetings, lectures, public dinners, soirees and concerts. In 1840 Frank Connor got the Exchange Rooms licensed for a Theatre, fitting it up for seasons with a gallery, pit and boxes. Soirees, balls, weddings, concerts, public meetings, dinners and lectures continued to be held as the years progressed.