Riccartsbar Hospital in 1929

Riccartsbar Hospital in 1929

Riccartsbar Hospital was opened in June 1876 as an Asylum serving Paisley and Johnstone Burghs, and was administered by Paisley District Lunacy Board. From 1948-64 it was administered by Renfrewshire Mental Hospitals Board and from 1964-8 by Dykebar and Associated Hospitals Board.

Riccartsbar Hospital in 1929

In 1968 it came under the control of the Board of Management for Paisley and District Hospitals. It closed in 1975 and the patients were transferred to Dykebar Hospital. Riccartsbar was subsequently demolished. The records of Riccartsbar were also transferred to Dykesbar after its closure.