Before 1838 the water supply to Paisley was drawn mainly from wells and whatever burns remained uncontaminated. The supply was uncertain and many plans were discussed for providing the town with an adequate and permanent supply.
In 1834 it had been resolved to adopt a plan by which a large reservoir would be constructed at Stanely Castle and a smaller one at Calside. From the Stanely one the water was to be conducted through stone conduits to the smaller reservoir at the head of Calside, filtered, and distributed through the town by Iron pipes. The proposal was given the go ahead by Parliament in 1835 and the sluices opened at Stanely Reservoir in 1838. The work was undertaken by the town council and extensive improvements were made in providing excellent quality and supply.
By 1891 the supply had been increased and extended by the construction of reservoirs at Harelaw, Glenburn, Rowbank at Howwood, and Camphill Reservoir on the Largs Road above Kilbirnie, fed by the ample supply from the Rye Burn. Together these Reservoirs were capable of holding close to 1500 million gallons of fresh, clean water. By this time the Reservoir at Calside was not required and had been filled in.
All content above courtesy of Paisley – Oor Wee Toon & Environs