The Old Fire Station Paisley

History: The Old Fire Station was built in the late 19th century and served as the town’s main fire station. It was designed in a distinctive Victorian architectural style, which included red sandstone facades and ornate detailing. For many years, it played a crucial role in Paisley’s fire prevention and emergency response.

In addition to functioning as a fire station, the building had various uses throughout its history, including serving as a police station and municipal offices. Its central location in Paisley made it an important civic structure.

More Information from our friends at Paisley Buildings

The old fire station has been at risk longer than any other building in the town with its future in severe doubt for a long time. Since the decommissioning of the building in 1973, the vacating of the roads department store in 1992, and subsequent proposal after proposal, the building has remained more or less empty over the years. It seemed that all hope was lost until recent work started to breathe new life into the building.

A new fire engine station was a pressing demand of a booming Paisley in 1896. At the time, there were suggestions to utilise the old jail building, but the preferred option was to build a new station to the designs of the burgh surveyor, John W Moncur. Moncur visited Belfast fire station for design inspiration, and shortly after prepared plans for the new building in a Scots Renaissance style, despite having no formal architectural training. Work commenced in 1897 and the building formally opened in March 1899 at a total cost of £8,000.

The building complex comprised the station headquarters on the upper floors, the tower and the training yard. An inspection of the fire station was carried out by the Provost in the 1920s, involving various training and stunts. You can watch it here:

After the relocation of the fire service to Canal St in 1973, the County Roads Department used the building as a store. In 1992-93, the council offered the building for sale and requested proposals for its use. Numerous were submitted but it was decided that the Paisley Action of Churches’ (PACT) proposal was most viable and were gifted the building. PACT envisaged converting the building into a youth centre, gym, rehearsal studio, craft room, youth advisory office, and accommodation block for homeless youngsters. Despite their optimism, funding was never secured and only the bottom floor came into use around 2001. The building then changed hands a number of times, at one point selling for £1, before most recently being purchased by Fereneze Developments as featured on Homes Under the Hammer.

The Meechan brothers of Ferenze Developments together with Vellow Wood Architecture submitted proposals for the conversion of the ground floor to commercial space and the upper floors to residential. There will also be an extension built toward St Matthew’s Church. Extensive stone cleaning has been carried out and high-quality replacement windows installed. Work is underway to bring the upper floors back into use which are planned to consist of 7 flats and the new extension will contain 8 flats.

Video of the outside of the Fire Station by drone

Current Status: We visited whilst the renovations of the internal side were underway the building was watertight and construction of the internals was still going on, in this video taken some years back you can get a walkthrough of the entire building.

We will try our best over the years to update you when the building is open.