Residents and communities across Renfrewshire are being asked for their views on plans to improve and develop local housing over the next five years.
Comments are being invited on Renfrewshire Council’s Draft Local Housing Strategy 2016-2021 which is available on the council’s website www.renfrewshire.gov.uk for viewing until the end of April 2016.
When the final version of the strategy is approved by councillors, it will provide a clear vision of how local housing and housing-related services will be provided by the local authority, local housing associations and private sector developers and landlords.
The draft strategy takes into account a number of trends that will affect housing in Renfrewshire over the next five years.
These factors include an ageing population; a rise in the number of single-person households; and an increasing number of young adults living in their parents’ home.
The strategy focuses on seven key areas for improving housing and the quality of life of local people:
- Increasing the supply of housing in Renfrews
- Promoting sustainable, attractive and well-designed communities and town centres
- Increasing the availability of high-quality, well-managed homes
- Improving energy efficiency in homes and tackling fuel poverty
- Preventing homelessness and supporting vulnerable households
- Helping older people to live independently in their own homes for as long as possible
- Providing affordable housing that meets people’s needs at different stages in their lives
Councillor Tommy Williams, convener of Renfrewshire Council’s Housing and Community Safety Policy Board, said:
“Providing good quality, affordable housing of the right type in the right locations is essential to our communities.
“This will also contribute to the regeneration of Renfrewshire as a thriving and prosperous place where people want to live and work.
“I would encourage as many local people as possible to take part in this consultation and give us their views on our proposals.”
As well as being able to comment online on the draft strategy, residents will have the chance to air their views at a series of consultation events in March next year:
- Johnstone Town Hall 2 March 2016 1:15pm – 4pm
- Renfrew Town Hall 9 March 2016 1:15pm – 4pm
- Paisley Town Hall 16 March 2016 9:45am – 12:30pm
The draft strategy can be viewed at www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/