Whether you are telling a narrative orally or putting it down in writing, you need to be able to keep your audience interested. People write narratives for several reasons including as part of a college course. People tell stories about things that are important to them, places and people. Whether fictional or non-fictional, when it comes to writing a narrative, you need all the help you can get as you tell your story. This article will give you some tips that will help you write a successful narrative.
- Ensure your story flows. Readers want to read narrative that has order. Your story should be in chronological order for it to have flow. A story that is all over the place will confuse and put off the reader. Readers want to be able to visualize things as they happen and they can only do that if your story has a natural flow.
- Do not skip important points. Make sure your readers get the important points of the story. They should know how to get from one point to another. This will make it easy for them to make sense of the narrative.
- Ensure your reader connects with the characters in the narrative. You can do this by describing the looks, character and behaviors of the people. You can also describe their actions so the reader can visualize them. This helps them to connect and relate with the characters in your story.
- If a particular place in the narrative is important, explain it in detail. You want the readers to realize the importance of a place to you. By explaining it, the readers can see why it is an important part of the narrative. Simply going through it in a hurry will make the readers assume it is not valuable.
When it comes to explanations, also remember the following;
- If an item is important, show the importance in the details. The reader needs to know what the item is, what it does, and why it is important through the narrative.
- If there is a special event, you need to describe everything that happened in detail. Let the reader know what you did, what happened at the event and the impact it had.
- Keep things interesting. No one wants to read a boring story. You need to keep things interesting so as to engage the reader. You can write about new things or have the reader learn something new which will keep things interesting.
If you are writing a narrative based on your real life, you might be tempted to skip some details if you are using your real identity. You can get some freedom when you use an anonymous persona.
Anonymous news always seems interesting for the following reasons;
- The narrator can let their imagination go wild without fear of being judged or criticized.
- The suspense that comes with not knowing who is telling the story makes it more interesting.
- Choose quality over quantity. Do not let your word count make you compromise on the quality of the narrative. If you have a word limit, you can reduce the irrelevant facts and characters from your narrative.
However, if you do not have a word limit, you can retain them. Remember not to add too much irrelevant information as it will turn you away from the main goal of the narrative. It will also confuse your readers who will get lost in the plot.
- Practice makes perfect. If you are new at writing narratives, expect to make mistakes. It is not easy to tell a story even if it’s your own. Do not give up. Keep writing and eventually you will get the hang of it.
Have fun when writing. Do not see your narrative as a chore or you will get demoralized. You need to have fun when writing your narrative. That way, you will be able to do your best and enjoy the story you are writing. You will also have a good time presenting your narrative which will make your audience be comfortable with you. People are more likely to enjoy a story from a cheerful person than from someone who looks like they are being forced to do it.