, , ,

Match report re Pirates’ 10-1 win over Moray Typhoons

paisley pirates


Pirates racked up their biggest home win of the season so far, in a match where they rarely got out of second gear to defeat their visitors from Elgin.

paisley pirates

It took the home side less than four minutes to go in front as Cowan linked with Blair and McMillan to pick his spot and net with some comfort. Pirates continued to display signs of lethargy but it was nevertheless a surprise when Durkascz equalised for the visitors at the halfway point, as they had barely threatened as an attacking force up until then. However, it took only 90 seconds for the lead to be restored, Riddell smashing home a slapshot which flew high past Ramsay for 2-1, and in spite of having virtually all of the play, Pirates were unable to add to their lead before the first break.

The home side moved up a gear at the start of the session and two goals within the first three minutes took the game away from the visitors, as first Hassan found the target from wide on the left, then with McPherson replacing Ramsay between the posts for Moray, the former was picking the puck out of the net as Miller took the score to four. Pirates scored a fifth on the powerplay within a few minutes, Hassan netting his second, but in spite of having to play off several penalties they remained firmly in control and went into the break comfortably ahead at 5-1.

The final session was something of a replica of the second, as Pirates came out firing and again scored twice in the opening few minutes through a Thorp slapshot and then Riddell’s second counter of the night, and with Wilson flicking home for eight with more than half the period remaining, a potential rout was on the cards. Miller netted his second with eight minutes left, and with less than five minutes on the clock the visitors’ Ferguson appeared to drop the gloves after a skirmish with Chris Turley, but the home defender wisely resisted the temptation to go toe to toe, picking up only a two minute minor for Roughing, while the Typhoon amassed 12 minutes in penalties for his troubles. With only three seconds remaining Wilson got his second, and double figures for the home side, to round off Pirates’ easiest home win so far.

Pirates will be pleased to record a straightforward win without reaching anything like their best form, but will perhaps be looking to up their game for the visit of Dundee Comets on Sunday (face off 6.00pm).