, , ,

Report: Queen of the South 1-0 St Mirren



By Lewis McKenzie at Palmerston Park

Having defeated Queen of the South in last week’s fixture at home, St Mirren took to the road to face them once more.

The home side started lively and the first chance of the match came from a Derek Lyle header from close range, comfortably saved by Langfield, although nevertheless flagged for offside by the assistant referee.

Just minutes later, Queens worked a corner kick that would have been straight off the training ground, Ryan Conroy playing a short ball to Alex Harris, played back to Conroy whose shot from the edge of the box had to be turned away by Langfield.

It was a busy opening ten minutes for Langfield who was then tested again by Lyle from the resulting corner, however the Saints keeper managed to get low to block well.

After soaking up the early pressure, the visitors had a chance of their own, Mallan turned in a free kick, the ball was met by the head of Irvine, but Jim Atkinson in the Queens goal denied the defender.

Alex Cooper sought to be a threat down the left hand wing, making some good runs and exhibiting decent pace, however unable to find Shankland in the penalty area.

On 13 minutes, Lyle was a threat yet again, heading not far wide of Langfield’s right hand post after the cross from Lewis Kidd on the wing.

Chances were at a minimum for either side after that, with much of the match being combated in the middle of the park. Although on 27 minutes, Baird played a long ball forward from a free kick just inside of Queens’ half towards Shankland, however the forward was unable to get his attempted lob of Atkinson on target.

Just beyond the half hour mark, Conroy was keen to make his mark on the game and attempted two long range efforts in succession, however Langfield was equal to it.

Baird then picked up a yellow card for pulling back Jake Pickard around the half way line.

Five minutes until the break and Mallan picked up the ball around 30 yards out, hitting a half volley towards the Queens’ goal but Atkinson managed to collect it.

The highlight of the first half for St Mirren would have been the performance of Alex Cooper, doing well to stay lively and try to create something. Cooper played the ball into the box after dribbling inside, but Shankland was unable to get a good connection and couldn’t get a shot away on goal.

Just before the break, an effort from Kyle Hutton at close range was saved excellently by Langfield, pulling off a brilliant save in the goals.

Half-Time: Queen of the South 0-0 St Mirren

St Mirren had a claim for a penalty turned away, not long after the restart, when Mallan was brought down in the box, but referee Barry Cook chose not to give the award, despite protests from the players.

David Clarkson tried to create a chance for the Buddies, cutting inside from the left wing and crossing to Gallagher, whose diving header towards goal was saved by the keeper.

In a second half that wasn’t dissimilar to the first, both sides struggled for long periods, however it was Queens who made the breakthrough, Andy Murdoch crossing the ball to Alex Harris, who volleyed it past Langfield from the edge of the box to open the scoring.

Manager Alex Rae chose to make his first substitution of the match, with just less than half an hour left to play, Callum Gallagher coming off for Kyle McAllister, making his debut.

Another run by Cooper again created a chance for Watson, although the defender, who has had some good goalscoring form of late, put the ball well over the bar and would have wanted to have got a better connection on it to find the target.

With just less than 15 minutes left, Rae made another switch, with Alex Cooper making way for Steven Thompson.

Harris nearly added a second for the home side after some good dribbling inside the penalty area to create space, hitting a shot towards Langfield, but the keeper dived low to make the save.

Up the other end, Mallan had a half chance on goal, but his shot from the edge of the area swerved wide of the Queens’ goal.

Soon after, Clarkson attempted to lob the ball toward the goal and went close, the ball hitting the top of the crossbar, Kelly was unable to turn his follow up header goalwards.

Queens very nearly scored again, Pickard firing a shot in from the right wing which hit against the post before being cleared away by the defence.

Steven Thompson had an effort from a similar position in the opposition half, however could not convert the opportunity. Saints were then faced with being reduced to 10 men after Mallan picked up a second yellow for tripping Kyle Jacobs.

A long ball from Langfield was then played on by McAllister, Thompson knocking the ball down to Shankland who took a shot from range but was left frustrated again as his effort went wide of the goal.

It was to sum up the afternoon for the Buddies, who were unable to level, the game finishing 1-0 to the home side.

Full-Time: Queen of the South 1-0 St Mirren

Queen of the South: Atkinson, Kidd, Dowie, Higgins, Harris, Lyle (Oliver 72), Conroy (Russell 66), Hutton, Pickard, Murdoch (Jacobs 82), Marshall.
Subs Not Used: Brownlie, Millar, Tapping, Thomson (GK).

St Mirren: Langfield, Kelly, Mallan, Baird, Watson, Gallagher (McAllister 70), Clarkson, Shankland, Quinn, Irvine, Cooper (Thompson 79).
Subs Not Used: Gow, Agnew, Cuddihy, Stewart, Wilks (GK).

Referee: Barry Cook.
Assistant Referee: Joseph Lawson.
Assistant Referee: Chris McTiernan.

Attendance: 1,923 (TBC St Mirren fans)

Match report pictures by Allan Picken – © Allan Picken Photography.

Match Gallery Pictures © John Millar.

Match Report,The Match